Skills & Expertise
- Clear, clean, concise writing
- Adaptable voice/style
- In-depth research
- Food & lifestyle
- Women’s issues
- Marketing, copywriting, e-commerce
- SEO writing
- Line/top editing for deftness/artistry & brand voice
- Detailed editing for typos, style issues, punctuation and more
- AP/house/other style
- Advanced grammar
- Fact-checking & critical analysis
- Creation & maintenance of style guides
- Legal copy editing
- Recipe & instructional copy editing
- Compose complete and user-friendly recipes and instructionals
- Research and develop bulletproof recipes
- Vast food and ingredient knowledge
- Southern food
- Easy family meals
- Elegant/complex recipes
- Holidays & entertaining
- Team management
- Research & fact-checking
- HTML & SEO
- Wordpress & other CMS’s
- Asana & project management
- G Suite (Google Drive)
- Microsoft Office
WRITER, EDITOR, RECIPE DEVELOPERHIREHEATHER, SEPTEMBER 1999 – PRESENT
Research and write articles, blog posts, recipes, ads, marketing materials and other content for clients such as SheKnows, Trekk, KIDY10 (local Fox affiliate), CBS DFW and The HOTH (SEO content company) as well as law firms, technology companies and medical professionals.
Develop, cook, photograph and edit recipes and write and edit educational articles and interviews centering on food culture and food trends with popular tastemakers. Published at SheKnows, FabFood, ChefMom. Working on my own recipe and food website.
- Wrote hundreds of articles in lifestyle (home, living, food, pets), health, women’s issues and more for SheKnows. Article types included product roundups (e-commerce), interviews, informational articles, fun articles/quizzes and more.
- Wrote and/or copy edited web copy for a variety of businesses, including technology firms, automotive finance training services, restaurants and lawn services.
- Wrote and/or copy edited brochures and marketing materials for medical professionals, including dentistry, cosmetic surgery and medical tourism.
- Wrote SEO-purposed legal blog posts for personal injury, family law, DUI and more and SEO-purposed blog posts for a technology firm focused on the health care industry in addition to SEO blog posts for a variety of industries through The Hoth.
- Retooled the printer sales profile sheets, originally written by an engineer, for a major multinational optics corporation to make them more consumer-friendly.
- Wrote the website for Operation Sweet 16, a mission by then-15-year-old Tori Pimentel, who gave up her sweet 16 birthday bash in favor of raising $16,000 for U.S. service members and veterans by her 16th birthday, a goal she exceeded by several thousand dollars. (Pro-bono)
- Wrote and occasionally voiced over radio and television ads for local businesses in San Angelo through the local Fox affiliate and a local radio station.
- Interviewed subject matter experts, including professional chefs/bakers and winemakers, such as Dr. George M. Strain (veterinary neuroscientist), the Robicellis (of Robicelli’s Bakery, authors of A Love Story, With Cupcakes), Fabio Viviani (of Top Chef), Marina Cvetic (Italian vintner), Rana Abla (aka Miss Naughty Brownie) and Franson Nwaeze (of Chef Point restaurant in Fort Worth).
- Developed, tested, cooked and photographed hundreds of recipes.
- Copy edited recipes critically to ensure all ingredients are accounted for in the directions and vice versa, directions are presented in a logical order and fully detailed to ensure end-user success, including questioning suspicious cook times/results to avoid miscommunication.
- Wrote a wine-and-chocolate pairing guide for a major international chocolatier.
DAYTIME COPY EDITOR (CONTRACT, REMOTE)SHEKNOWS, JULY 2016 – FEBRUARY 2019
Edited content for house style, formatting, grammar, flow and brand voice, checking to ensure sources were properly cited and facts properly presented. Developed and refined copy editor workflow as needed to meet editorial needs.
- Copy edited 100 articles per week, averaging 10 to 15 minutes per article, continuing to ensure proper grammar, style, spelling, consistency and brand voice
- Wrote and maintained house style guide, optimizing it to ensure it was searchable both traditionally and by document outline.
FREELANCE COPY EDITOR MANAGER (REMOTE)SHEKNOWS, JUNE 2012 – JULY 2016
Rebuilt and managed an existing team of up to 19 freelance copy editors to meet the changing needs of the company, providing training, retraining and professional development as needed.
- Reassigned and replaced copy editors as needed for each vertical and sister site, establishing teams as necessary for higher-volume sections.
- Created a specialized team of trending copy editors to work outside the normal workflow.
- Hired, trained and mentored copy editors on the house style guide, corporate expectations and our content management system.
- Copy edited important pieces and filled in for copy editors as needed.
COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTORASSOCIATION OF F&I PROFESSIONALS, OCTOBER 2004 – FEBRUARY 2007
COMMUNICATIONS & MARKETING DIRECTOR (CONTRACT)ASSOCIATION OF F&I PROFESSIONALS, OCTOBER 2007 – MAY 2012
Scrutinized and copy edited all outgoing communications, from correspondence to marketing materials, to ensure consistency of message, managed the flow of information to other departments and established and enforced style guidelines for branded products and services. Coordinated and managed ongoing marketing efforts, ran the website and email newsletter and assisted in the ongoing development of the organization’s signature education program and legal-compliance products.
- Copy edited the Safeguards Rule Compliance Kit, an all-in-one guide geared toward automotive dealerships to help them comply with the FTC Safeguards Rule.
- Created the first-ever brand style guide.
- Built the organization’s original SCORM-compliant online training program from the bottom up using open-source software.
- Created AFIP’s online retail store using open-source software, wrote page and product descriptions for the entire catalog and front-page advertising and managed user accounts and daily operation.
EARLY PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Account Executive, KGKL/Magic98 (San Angelo, Texas), September 2000 – November 2000
Broadcast Media Director, McLaughlin Advertising (San Angelo, Texas), July 2000 – September 2000
Bachelor of Arts in Drama with English (teaching track), Angelo State University, 1999
Fiction I, Gotham Writers Workshop
Marketing Writing Bootcamp, MarketingProfs Online University
Food Writing 101, cookNscribble (with columnist, author and James Beard Award winner Molly O'Neill)
FlexJobs AP style copy editing skills test (top 10 percent score)
The Hoth SEO writing training